ELT in Iowa
The Iowa Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Division began their ELT (Electronic Lien and Title) system in June 2013 with a single pilot lender. In March 2014, Decision Dynamics became an approved service provider for the Iowa ELT program.
The ELT program changes the lien and title process for lenders (bankers, credit unions, dealers, and other financial institutions) as lenders no longer need to store and file paper titles.
The Iowa ELT program optionally allows titles to remain electronic after lien release. Lienholders can also convert their existing paper titles to ELT. Please also see the FAQS page.
IA ELT News
More about ELT in Iowa
What is the Electronic Lien and Title Program?
The Electronic Lien and Title Program allows the IA MVD and a lending institution (lienholder) to exchange vehicle and title information electronically. This electronic transferal of information eliminates the need to print and mail paper titles. Both the lienholder and the MVD reap the benefits of lower costs in processing, mailing, filing and retrieving paper titles.
How does this work?
- The lender provides the county treasurer with a title application (411007) to a local office with accompanying documentation. (An application for lien could also be handled by a dealer.)
- The county records the lien with the MVD and the Iowa DOT sends an electronic message with similar titling information as appears on a paper form. This information includes a description of the vehicle and the name and address of the vehicle owner.
- DDI receives the message from Iowa, formats it, and makes it available to the lender in Premier eTitleLien®.
- The lender works with Premier eTitleLien® to validate the lien information.
- Once the loan is satisfied, the lender uses Premier eTitleLien® to release the lien.
- The title remains electronic until requested by the vehicle owner.
There are also provisions within the Iowa ELT program for requesting paper titles (with lien), converting paper titles to electronic, and performing inquiries on vehicle titles.Premier eTitleLien® supports these features, making them simple and as foolproof as possible, and supplements them with additional tools including preparing the Iowa application forms.
What are the benefits of the Electronic Lien and Title System?
The electronic lien and title system reduces the costs associated with handling, storage and mailing paper titles by replacing them with electronic titles. Lienholders who join the program will enjoy not having to:
- Retrieve a title from a conventional file when the lien is satisfied.
- Physically satisfy (sign off) a lien on a title.
- Mail a title to a customer.
- Apply for a duplicate title to replace a lost title.
- Reduces title fraud.
- Reduction of title paper usage.
- Faster notification of lien satisfactions.
- Reduction in storage of title documents.
- Consolidated, itemized monthly billing for title services.
- Better customer service.
- Overall reduced costs.
Additionally, electronic lienholder customers who have satisfied their loan obligations can receive clear paper titles faster, after the lienholder has electronically notified the MVD that the lien has been released.
For more information on Premier eTitleLien® or participating in the Iowa ELT program, please visit http://www.etitlelien.com.